Santa Fe Unit School’s high school students will join seven of Maury County’s public schools that have transitioned to remote learning to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
The rural unit school, located in northwestern Maury County and serving students in grades K though 12, plans to allow the four upper school grades to return following the school’s Thanksgiving Break on Monday, Nov. 30.
More than 1,300 of the school system’s 13,000 students are out of the classroom and now learning remotely after being exposed to the virus.
Parents at Santa Fe Unit School were reminded last month that if a member household tests positive for COVID-19, the students of the household must also stay home.
“We are trying our best to keep everyone safe and our classrooms rocking and rolling,” the school said in a message to parents on its Facebook page.
The latest updates from the school system indicate that a total of 96 students have tested positive for the coronavirus, and 67 educators and staff are at home after wither testing positive or showing symptoms of the virus.
With more than 500 active cases of the virus in Maury County, the school is currently at a “medium” status level in relation to the virus, offering families the opportunity to enroll students in its “family choice” remote learning option.
Columbia Central High School and Hampshire Unit School pivoted to remote learning due to an increased presence of the coronavirus.
The school system’s alternative school, Northfield Academy, also ceased in-person classes due to a large numbers absences of educators and staff.
“Sometimes it is a matter of too many teachers out,” Jack Cobb, the school system’s spokesperson told The Daily Herald. “There are so many other reasons other than COVID-19. We don’t divulge information about our employees.”
The sixth-grade class at Spring Hill Middle School was also sent without enough teachers available to hold in-person classes. Students are planned to return on Monday Nov. 9.
The three campuses were preceded in the transition to remote learning by Spring Hill High School, Whitthorne Middle School, E.A. Cox Middle School and Randolf Howell Elementary School are also currently holding classes remotely due to an increased presence of the virus on campus.
The school district hosts students at 22 traditional campuses across the county.
The recent shifts to remote learning have closed two of the school system’s most populous campuses, Columbia Central and Spring Hill.
Here is the complete list of local schools with a select group of students studying remotely:
- Spring Hill Middle School wrestling team, returning 11/16
- Spring Hill High School wrestling team, returning 11/16
- Santa Fe Unit Middle School Boys basketball team, returning 11/16
- Battle Creek Middle School, 19 impacted, returning 11/5
- Battle Creek Middle School, 17 impacted, returning 11/6
- Santa Fe Unit School, 26 impacted, returning 11/2 through 11/6
- Baker Elementary School, 19 impacted, returning 10/30
- Culleoka Unit School, 10 impacted, returning 11/5
- Spring Hill Elementary School, 22 impacted, returning 11/6
- Marvin Wright Elementary third-grade Classroom, 20 impacted, returning 11/6
- McDowell Elementary School, 11 impacted, returning 11/9 through 11/19
- Santa Fe Unit School, 6 impacted, returning 11/9
- Spring Hill High School, 7 impacted, returning 11/10
- Spring Hill High School, 27 impacted, returning 11/11
- Spring Hill High School, 18 impacted, returning 11/11
- Highland Park Elementary, 20 impacted, returning 11/12
- Mt. Pleasant High School, 11 impacted, returning 11/14
- Mt. Pleasant Middle School, 42 impacted, returning 11/13
- Culleoka Unit School, 17 impacted, returning 11/13 through 11/17
- Mt. Pleasant Middle School, 8 impacted, returning 11/16
- Santa Fe Unit School, 11 impacted, returning 11/16
- Culleoka Unit School, 39 impacted, returning 11/16
- Woodard Elementary, 19 impacted, returning 11/17
- Spring Hill Middle School Sixth Grade at home due to staffing, returning 11/9
- Mt. Pleasant Middle School boys and girls basketball teams, returning
- 11/13 Hampshire Unit Middle School girls basket ball team, returning 11/16